Monday, November 23, 2009

On the subject of Quantum Physics, I tell you what annoys me. Animal rights people complaining about animal abuse in reference to Schrodinger's cat. Firstly it is a theoretical paradoxical thought experiment that neatly demonstrates the idea of quantum superpositions. More importantly, don't they realise that by opening the box to rescue the animal they are observing it's state which will collapse it's quantum wave function, so they are directly responsible for killing the cat (50% of the time). Assuming the experiment wasn't tainted by objective collapse theory, i.e. the cat observed itself. Anyway, not worth the risk. Leave the cat to hover in it's superposition. I can imagine my wife rolling her eyes when she reads this, but it had to be said.

Follow me on Twitter: @UKDad