Friday, October 21, 2011

I remember being a teenager regularly staying up late to watch a series on channel 4 called 4 Mation. The series aired both contemporary and classic animation from around the world and I enjoyed it immensely. It was one such evening that I saw a haunting and atmospheric short film that profoundly influenced me, igniting a love of animation and particularly stop motion (which I have dabbled in) all my life.

Until this evening I thought I would never see this obscure film ever again.

On many different occasions over past years I have searched for clues as to what this animation was. Apart from remembering the simply story, I got my first strong lead just recently when I visited Prague. While browsing traditional wooden toys in Prague airport, the style of the puppets seemed familiar to me. Holding a one I remembered the eerie animation. I bought some beer for my friends back home and boarded the plane, forgetting about the link until tonight. I started my search again with the clue that the animator may have been eastern European.

Within minutes I tracked down the animator Jirí Trnka and most importantly the name of the 1954 animation "O sklenicku víc", is it any wonder I didn't remember the title! Rather embarrassingly Jiri Trnka was considered the Walt Disney of eastern Europe. Damn my islander education.

I watched it again and enjoyed every minute of it.

It is with great pleasure that I present this to you. It is a sad story with a simply warning message. No obscure metaphors here. Just atmosphere and heart produced out of simple materials.

Interested to get your thoughts on this.

Jirí Trnka "O sklenicku víc"